Hey guys, today i am back with another university blog post for you. This one has been one of my most requested blog posts to date, so i’m super excited to be sharing this with you.
My University Essentials
It’s that time of year where many people begin to prepare for their journey away from home. This journey is super exciting yet very nerve racking but the thing i loved most about this journey was shopping for items for my uni flat.
I will admit that when i went to buy items for my flat i went a bit overboard. I ended up with a lot of unused items, including a lot of pots and pans which ended up unused, covered in dust under my bed. There were also a lot of things i needed that i didn’t think to get.
So after experiencing life away from home i thought i’d share with you what i plan to be taking back to uni with me in September.
- Pans: now i went completely overboard with these, lets be real you only really need two pans, one large and one small and on frying pan.
- Plates/bowls: Firstly i’d recommend you get plates with a unique pattern so no one can accuse you of stealing theirs (it happens). I bought a cheap set from wilkos, but really you only need 2 small plates, 2 large, 2 bowls etc. Then a spare set under your bed just in case.
- Glasses: Glasses i’d bring a few, they are often in high demand at pre drinks. So bring a range, normal, wine glasses, shot glasses, pint glasses. You can never have too many and they can always double up as room storage for pens and stuff like that.
- Pizza Tray
- Tupperware boxes/ plastic storage bags
- Cutlery: Again try and make them unique
- Pizza Cutter
- Bottle opener
- Kettles/Toasters: Personally i bought my own just so i knew there would be one there, however a lot of people like to wait till they move in an cut the costs with their flats mates.
- Food: this is important because you wont get your student loan till after you enroll.
- Tea Towels
- Wash bowl/draining rack: Again you may want to wait and split costs with flat mates.
Bathroom Essentials (en suite)
- Toothbrush holder
- Shower Curtains
- Shower Mat
- Toiletries: Shampoo/conditioner etc
- Toilet Roll
- Clothes hangers: I recommend the thin ones so you can fit more in.
- Mattress Protector
- Things to decorate your room with: Blog post to follow.
- Duvet covers
- Storage boxes for underneath bed
- Small set of draws (not necessary but for those who want/need more storage)
- Laundry hamper
- Laundry Detergent
- Hair dryer
- Long mirror
For those who live in En Suite rooms you are required to clean your own bathrooms and everyone is required to clean their own kitchen. I’d advice everyone to buy cleaning products before hand so you always have some lying around.
- Kitchen Sponge
- Washing up liquid
- Flash wipes
- Kitchen cleaner
- Shower cleaner
- Toilet cleaner
- Cleaning cloth
Little bits you may not think to bring but come in handy to have in a little box somewhere.
- Spare light bulbs for lamps
- First Aid Kit
- Mini Sewing Kit
- Chocolate Stash
- Blue tack
- Command hooks/strips
That is everything i can think of for now, however, i will add to this when and if i think of anything new. Hopefully, this can help prepare everyone for uni and make shopping that little bit more easier.
Head over to my interest and go and check out my University board for more university type things and look out for future posts outlining more things to get you university ready.